Email is considered to be a core platform for engagement and interaction. But email marketing requires alertness on several counts, with relevance being a continuing battleground for marketers. One still has to pay attention to few key aspects in order to guarantee email deliverability success.
As email marketing becomes more complex, so too does the business of successful delivery.
A new report has urged marketers to understand the connection between data integrity, relevance and reputation and why these three factors can make or break a campaign. Data integrity sits at the heart of any successful email campaign. According to Experian’s new report, The Proactive Marketer, with more than 90% of UK companies suspecting that up to 25% of their data is inaccurate, it underlines how potential returns can be lost even before an email marketing campaign begins.
Analysis from Experian Hitwise shows that email users open an average of just five emails per inbox visit, but yet that there are more than 500 million email-driven website visits each month. Understanding how to attract the reader’s attention and being one of the emails that gets opened is of vital importance to a campaign’s success.
Getting your message to customers in a way that delivers meaningful results demands a great understanding of your customers and the way in which ISPs operate. With ISPs determining deliverability based on the sender’s reputation for complaint rates, unknown user rates and spam trap hits, it is vital for marketers to maintain their reputation by processing complaints from every ISP or email provider offering abuse complaint feedback loops.
“It is vital that marketers enter into a dialogue with their customers and the ISPs. As a marketer, if you are part of a feedback loop with an ISP you can quantify the number of emails that are being complained about, begin to understand why and modify your communications so that subscribers are less likely to hit the dreaded spam button,” said Stephen Ford, email deliverability specialist at Experian Marketing Services.
Seven top tips for marketers to increase email deliverability levels:
1. Data Integrity: Capture the data that drives your marketing goals and ensure that it’s constantly validated and always up-to-date
2. Data Integrity: Use your contact databases to store more than just addresses, incorporate information on permissions, propensities and preferences
3. Relevance: Start a real dialogue with customers to learn from them at every opportunity, building trust and reducing the likelihood of disengagement
4. Relevance: Move with your customers, with communications that are always targeted at their changing needs, and meets their expectations in terms of frequency, timing and channel
5. Relevance: Create content that encourages dialogue in the short, medium and long term
6. Reputation: Keep abreast of technology changes such as graymail that may affect your ability to deliver emails
7. Reputation: Work closely with ISPs to ensure that you are a responsible marketer and your emails don’t end up in the spam filter.